Friday, February 17, 2012

Leap Day Review By Lily

Hi guys! This is Lily here! Today I'm going to be writing a review on a book I read recently: Leap Day by Wendy Mass.



WHAT THE BOOK IS ABOUT: Josie, the protagonist in the book, is turning four. Or sixteen. Whichever you want to call it. Josie was born on February 29th, Leap Day. Leap Day by Wendy Mass takes you through the whole day of Josie's birthday. This birthday is certainly one she'll never forget! On her birthday she auditions for the part of Juliet in her school's play Romeo and Juliet, suspects her friend Megan has an eating disorder, her secret crush (well her crush doesn't know she likes him) calls her by her NAME(!), she takes her driving test, her friend Katy hands her a secret private note, and a pregnant senior girl at their school is about to have her baby.

WHAT I LIKED: I liked how the book takes place over the course of one day. Not a week, not a month, not a year, but one day.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: I didn't like that the book was separated into chapters A and B. For exampled chapter 1A would be from Josie's POV, but then the next chapter, chapter 1B, would be in third person replaying the same scene. I did like that in some points though because otherwise you would never know what the other characters in the book are thinking.

MY FAVORITE CHARACTER OF THE BOOK: That would probably have to be Josie, but if I can't pick the main character I would pick either Megan or Sloane. Even though Sloane is just a side character, I really like her for some reason. Even though she's like 7.

MY LEAST FAVORITE CHARACTER IN THE BOOK: Those twins whose names start with T. I forget their names now. See how much I didn't like them? ;)

FAVORITE SCENE IN THE BOOK: I don't know. Probably when Josie helped Sloane become not afraid of the 'ghosts' in the ride at Disneyworld. That was sweet.

WHAT AGE I RECCOMEND THE BOOK FOR: Probably 11 or 12 and up. Since Josie IS turning 16 kids younger than 11or 12 might not get everything that Josie's talking about.

RATING OUT OF FIVE STARS: 4 and three quarters! I can't rate it five because the whole chapter switching off and on was kind of annoying. Plus they didn't really describe the Dad's job enough, so I would rate it four and three quarters.

Thanks so much for reading!
Lily

1 comment:

  1. That would be sooo weird to have a "real" birthday once every four years! Sounds like a good book -- thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete