Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Prom by: Laurie Halse Anderson Review




I read a book called Prom by: Laurie Halse Anderson. First of all I have never read a book by Laurie Anderson.
WHAT IS IT ABOUT: High School senior Ashley Hannigan, will have nothing to do with the senior prom. All her friends care about is prom, especially her best friend Natalia, who is head of the prom committee. Who wants to stand and dance around in a hot gym?  But when the prom money is stolen, Ashley suddenly finds herself roped into the putting together a huge dance out of absolutely no money. While balancing school, prom, her punk boyfriend, TJ, and her crazy family, she starts to believe that they can start to save the prom. But when Nat, brakes her leg while walking through school, Ashley has to save the prom on her own. While working on prom she realizes that maybe after high school she can have a real future than living in her parents basement or in a apartment with TJ. Ashley now has basically saved the prom while to find out that she can't attend. She has to many dentions,  and library fees. She doesn't care, she didn't even want to go to the prom anyway. She sneaks in anyway and sees that the prom is a huge hit. She is proud of what she has accomplished.
WHAT I LIKED: I liked that Ashley finds herslef through prom and that prom is a huge hit, (I LOVED that her friend gets proposed too!!)
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: There was some inappropriate parts, that I wouldn't have liked to read, it didn't need to be part of the book, well from my view. It also is totally unrealistic. I don't want to give it away.
WHAT SCENE DID I LIKE: I like the Prom scene the best.
I would probably give it 3 out of 5 stars, for inappropriate scenes and for being unrealistic.
I would probably only recommend it for ages 13 and up. But then again I have NEVER read a book by Anderson.

Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment