Saturday, April 28, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver Review

Hi everyone! Lily blogging here! =) Today I have a review for you on the book Delirium by Lauren Oliver.

WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT: In this futuristic dystopian novel, everybody thinks that love is a disease. Scientists have found a cure to amor delira nervosa, where they cut into part of your brain and then when you wake up from the surgery you're cured. You cannot feeling loving (or hating) emotions anymore. Everybody on their 16th or 18th birthday (I can't remember which one!) gets the cure, and just before then they get evaluated and matched with partners that they are to marry and start a family with once they cured. Being with uncured boys (or girls) is a deadly crime. Uncured's have a strict curfew. In this world, people cannot listen to music unless it's approved by the government, read books unapproved by the government (ie, Romeo and Juliet, all types of poetry, etc.) Lena believes in all this. Until she meets Alex. When she realizes that her whole entire life is a lie, everything she's been told, everything she knows is a lie.
WHAT I LIKED: I liked the characters, Lena, Hana, Alex and everybody. It was a very good story and I thought the plot was very interesting. I loved it, adding it to my list of top favorites.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The author left chapters at cliffhangers. It was really annoying because she would end one chapter with a cliffhanger, and then start the next chapter with some memory from the fourth grade or something. So that was annoying. The ending I didn't like either. It was horrible! I seriously cried for like ten minutes (we were driving in the car) and my family was like, "why are you crying?" I was sobbing "it can't end like this! It's horrible, so sad!" I don't normally cry in books, this marks one of two books I've ever cried in. I went into the book thinking, how is she going to make me convinced that love is a disease? When I came out I was half and half, I understood half why it would be and half why it wouldn't be. If she had convinced me a little more I would of loved it even more. Although it is in my top ten favorite books now. :)
MY FAVORITE CHARACTER: Oooh! Tough one! Probably Lena, but Hana and Grace aren't far behind, and neither is Grace!
MY LEAST FAVORITE CHARACTER: Aunt Carol, I'm sorry but I just didn't like her all that much.
MY FAVORITE SCENE: I don't know. I loved all of the book so much!
MY LEAST FAVORITE SCENE: The ending scene! I hated that. I'm not going to spoil that much, but if you are like half way through the book or something, I recommend skipping this little part. Why did (Insert character name here) have to die?!?!?! I just thought that was a stupid choice by the author although she must have a reason for it.
WHAT AGE I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR: Twelve and up, maybe thirteen and up because there is some swearing in it. Lots of kissing between two characters and one character takes a guys shirts off. There is illegal music and books read, and some characters sneak out past curfew to parties (where this alcohol but not a lot is said about that.)A girl get's bitten by a dog and her leg is bleeding, but certainly not nearly as violent as The Hunger Games.
WHAT I RATE THE BOOK: Five out of five stars!


I have already read the novella and sequel and will get those reviews up soon. Thanks for reading!


Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment